How To Find The Perfect College| What I Wish I Knew Before I Went To University


The summer before I went to college I looked up just about every college video you could imagine and honestly I didn't focus as much on choosing the perfect school for me. Ultimately, I transferred from my first university not because it was bad school or I was super unhappy but it just wasn't the right fit for me, and going to college is so expensive so you shouldn't settle for being somewhere that doesn't feel right for you. This post details everything I wish I had considered before I went off to university and honestly i'm hoping some of this advice helps you.

1. Ask the current students on campus.

This may seem super awkward at first but you will really benefit from doing this. It can be as simple as sending a DM to someone that you know who goes to the school you want, getting in touch with the ambassadors at your new school or asking some people around campus if you can get the chance to tour. They can tell you about things that you may have never even considered like the best clubs to join, where most people on campus live, what the transportation system on campus is REALLY like late buses and all, etc.

2. Look at the schools reviews. 

This needs to be taken with a grain of salt, some reviews are definitely more helpful than others but you can generally get a sense of the school and students opinions though this. A few websites that I really enjoyed were CollegeNiche and College Ranking because they give you a breakdown of the campus statics like if it is predominately a commuter campus or how many people usually transfer. 

3. Ask yourself what you want out of college.

What is most important to you about your college experience. Do you want to go to school out of state? Do you want a school that is big so you can meet a lot of people or do you want a small campus so you can bond more with your peers? Do you want to go to a very international school or be around people from your home state? Would your prefer to save money and go to a junior college initially?

4. Consider your major. 

People can tend to gravitate to schools that are prestigious but in my experience universities tend to have majors that they are known for. This is something to think because that can sometimes affect how you feel about your school if your major is underfunded at that school. If it is not a big issue for you then go wherever you want but just keep this in mind as it could impact your time their and job seeking post graduation. 

5. Look at financial aid and scholarships. 

This is the most important piece of advice and I know you have heard this a million times but it is so common for people to struggle though school because of high tuition. This can impact your learning experience greatly, it is becoming common to see people who only have time to go to work, do homework, and sleep. Which again is fine if you are okay with that but some people want to spend more time networking or going out so really consider if the school you want is comfortably within your budget. Also, junior college is great choice as more people are taking this route to save money and complete their general courses so you meet as many new people as you would if you attended a four year university right away. 

That is my just my take on everything so be sure to leave a comment if you have any questions and I would be more than happy to answer. 

Comments

Popular Posts