How Do I Get Through My Post Grad Slump?


 Every person that I know who has completed their post secondary education has told me about experiencing this mix of emotions they felt when they graduated. They say there is happiness, excitement, sadness, and an overwhelming sense of fear. The thoughts of what comes next begin to feel daunting.  However, it does not seem like anyone has ever answered the question of what to do with these feelings and how to conquer them. The answer that I have is that there is no solid way to overcome these feelings, you have to embrace and endure them while you find a job, your adult hobbies, or your next passion after school. 
 
My post grad experience was a bit unusual one on account of going through a global pandemic but largely I felt confused and stuck. I wasn't simply applying for jobs, I was trying to find myself and what I would be content doing for even the next five years. Also, I spent time trying to figure out how to answer the dreaded adult-like question of "What are your hobbies?" and to be honest I have none. I could say watching anime, or thrift shopping but that doesn't feel very grown up. 

Maybe that is my, along with other people's issue is trying to feel 'grown-up' or like something we're not yet. We should start focusing on who we currently are. I am in my early 20's with little to no idea how people get up at 6 AM to workout, go to work, come home and be a productive member of society and that is okay. Well for now, it has to be because that's just who I am. That's the scary thing about life, you don't really feel prepared for anything, yet are expected to know how to tackle the next steps in life with confidence and excitement you might not have. I'm learning that that is fine, to be expected even, growth is so gradual that it tends to sneak up on us. At 16 I couldn't imagine myself in college much less graduated and now here I am freaking out about tax forms and rent and possibly getting closer to being a proper adult. All I can say is here's to hoping and growing. 

Comments

Popular Posts